I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.


Phillipians 4:13

Monday, August 13, 2007

Kayla is now almost potty trained!!!!

I am so proud of Kayla!!! I have tried many times over the past year or so to try to get her potty trained and never with any success. So about 2 weeks ago I decided that since we didn't have anything like vacation or anything big coming up I would try again. I talked to her about it and figured out that she was interested in putting the seat on the toilet and using that instead of the potty. So we talked about it over and over and I told her that big girls use the potty and little girls go in their diapers (she has this thing about her being a big girl and NOT and little girl!!!). So Sunday morning last week I thought I would try. I put the seat on the toilet and she sat on it but didn't go (a huge step forward compared to never wanting to sit on the potty before). Jeff was gone to the fire college so we didn't go to church that morning. So a little later she came running up to me and said "mommy, I almost peed in my diaper!" So I thought we would go on the potty. She had said that to me before but she had already gone in her diaper so I thought I'll just put her on the potty just to see. And she went!!! A lot!!!! She was so proud of herself to hear the pee going in the toilet!!!! We had a chart on the wall and she put a sticker on it and was proud of it!! All day, she would come running up to me and say the same thing "mommy I almost peed!" She didn't have one accident in her pull up all day!! It's now a week later and she is still doing awesome! Her diaper is completely dry at the end of the day and she can do it all on her own! She goes in the bathroom, does her thing, pulls up shorts, washes her hands and puts a sticker on her chart! It's so cute!!!! She hasn't quite mastered the pooping yet (Sorry if it's TMI!) so I'm going to wait until that happens before I put underwear on her. But I have a feeling it won't be too much longer! I asked her before we started potty training what she wanted as a treat when she was all done and wearing big girl underwear and she decided that she wanted a Belle tea set that another little girl she knows has. So when we were at Wal-Mart the other day, there were only 3 left so I thought I would buy it but she knows that she doesn't get it yet, it's an incentive for her to keep going!!! It's sitting on our counter right there for her to see!!! She is so proud of herself and tells everyone we see that she goes on the potty!!! Now, the goal is to get Jules trained to before the baby comes!!! I think it will be easier to do her cause she sees Kayla doing it and is already jealous of Kayla when she goes in the bathroom and shuts the door! I'll give her a couple of months and try!!!!

Here's a pic of Kayla with her chart (as you can see, she didn't put the stickers on the right days, just all over the place!!!) Look at that proud face!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toilet training comes with patience. Cannot force them to do it.Good luck with Julianna.Hope they are both trained before the baby arrives.

Carolyn said...

Soo adorable! I love that she gets to put a sticker on her chart. Great idea! Your family is just so gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I as so proud of you, Kayla. I hope you get your tea set soon. Keep working hard. Give Julesy a hug for me. Love you lots.

Grampa Bob.

P.S. Your picture with your chart is awesome.

Household of Faith said...

Good for you Kayla!! Potty training is definitely not easy! It took me about 1 year to train Seth. I wanted him trained before Ethan arrived, but he wasn't fully trained until almost 3 months after. We did the sticker charts and treats but he had to be the one willing to cooperate with it all. It is so handy when they do their business on the toilet and it saves money too on diapers or pull-ups. All the best with getting Julianna trained, some say the 2nd child is easier, but if it doesn't happen before the baby comes, it will happen sometime after that. Hope you are feeling well and that all things are well with your family!