I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.


Phillipians 4:13

Thursday, January 22, 2009

:o(

Well, I'm back from the doctor's with Zach. I'm bummed :o( He said he is completely healthy and doesn't have a thing wrong with him but -- he said he is overweight and that I shouldn't be feeding him during the night. He's not unhealthily overweight but he said that babies grow fat cells when they are young and the more food you give them, the more they grow which could cause problems with them when they are older, with weight. I'm so scared that I've put my son on the road to obesity. I know that he is only 10 months old and I'm sure it won't end up that way, but what if he does end up really overweight???? I'm so upset. I know that it's not like I've been force feeding him to make him get big, but the doctor said that I should not be giving him food during the night. So what I need to do is put him somewhere that he won't wake the kids up, and harden my heart and let him cry. It's a behavioral thing that I need to train him out of. The problem is is that when he wakes up, I don't want him to wake anyone up so I automatically go to him and either pick him up to comfort him or feed him. So he has learned "When I cry, mommy comes to me with food!" So he said that it may be a rough thing to go through but eventually, it will work and he will sleep through the night. I know with Juliana when she was around this age, I would take Kayla in our room with us, turn the fan on, shut the door and let her cry, checking on her every few minutes to make sure she was ok. And it worked, she eventually learned to soothe herself to sleep and slept through the night, other than when she was sick or something like that. So I need to do that. What I'm going to do is once I move him to his crib (we start him off in the playpen in our room so that he can go to sleep since Juliana stays awake for a while after they go to bed), I'm going to move the playpen downstairs in the craft room. Once he wakes up in the night, instead of giving him a bottle, I'll take him down, put him in there and I'll go down with him, and sleep in the recliner in the living room so I'll still be close, but he won't see us and won't wake anyone up. The doctor said that he should not be in our room with us, and that may be a big reason why he wakes up and gets upset. So, I'm a little nervous to try it since he'll be going from having 1-2 bottles in the night to nothing. I know that babies are made to not eat in the night - Juliana gave it up around 8 months or so - so I know that he's not going to be starving. I just know how I feel when I start trying to lose weight and cut out calories. I'm starving for the first few days! So until his body gets used to it and starts taking more calories during the day, it will be hard. Wish me luck! It's going to be a hard few days I'm sure :o( I'll keep you all posted.

No comments: