I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.


Phillipians 4:13

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What a night!!!

To explain the post title, we had quite the night on Sunday! First of all, we went to Bible study and put the girls in the nursery. There were 2 young girls (couldn't be any older than 14) watching about 6-8 babies. Kayla was the oldest and they ranged down to about 6 months old. Not that I think that 14 is too young to babysit, but for that many babies I was always a little nervous. We got done our study and went up to get the girls so they could have a snack and Kayla was laying on the floor sobbing. It wasn't the typical temper tantrum cry, this was a deep in the soul sad cry. The girls were sitting in chairs with the rest of the kids watching a movie and just ignoring her. They said she had been crying like that for the last 10 minutes. What I didn't understand is why didn't they come and get us. She was clearly upset and crying out for mommy and daddy but they didn't bother to get us. The one girl said they tried everything to calm her down but she wouldn't stop crying, well obviously not! They've come down to get other parents in the past if they kids were upset or something. I felt so awful for Kayla cause you could tell her heart was broken. She even said "I want to go home" when we were hugging her and she never says that. When we were driving home I was asking her if she wanted to go back to the nursery next week with the nice ladies that were there in the morning and she said "no, I don't want to go to the nursery, I want to stay home', so I have a feeling that it is going to be a fun time trying to get her to go again. At least in the morning they are mothers and know how to deal with kids a little better. For example, when I got in there in the morning, the lady came over and helped get Kayla's coat and boots off and came and grabbed Juliana from me. When we dropped them off last night, I had to walk over to the one girl and hand her over to her cause she would cry if I just put her on the floor and walked away. I could tell that she didn't want her too much cause she was playing ball with a bunch of the other kids. I don't think we'll be bringing the girls with us to Bible study any more. That just broke my heart to see Kayla crying like that. I know kids have to get used to rejection etc eventually but she is only 2 1/2!!!!

Now, the second part to the "what a night"! We got home a little late so I put Jules in bed while Jeff showered Kayla. I was getting Kayla dried off (no diaper on yet) when I heard the loudest thud ever. It felt like the house was exploding! Followed by a loud cry. Juliana must have gotten on her tippy toes and had just enough momentum to push herself over the railing. I went in and she was laying on her back on the floor, so it looked like she had done a somersault and landed upside down. The poor thing, she wouldn't stop crying for a while, so Jeff got out of the shower and came and stripped her down to make sure there were no bumps, bruises, broken bones. She wouldn't stop crying and kept putting her hands to her head. Jeff said that people bring kids into the emergency room for falls like that, so I started freaking out that she had a concussion or something like that. I called Mary (Bob's mom, she's a nurse) and she came over and looked her over. She said she seemed fine but she did tell me to go in in the middle of the night and try to wake her up to see if she does and to keep an eye out for vomiting or something like that. Luckily she slept fine and was fine the next day, but that could have ended so much worse. She did say that babies bones have a lot more cartilage so they are a lot more flexible than adults, so for a fall that would maybe end in a broken bone for an adult, is just a bruise for a baby. So, before we put her back to bed Jeff lowered the crib to the lowest setting. We had both thought over the last few weeks that we should do it but we didn't think she was tall enough. Boy, were we wrong!!! Bad parents!!!

Juliana isn't even slightly upset over that whole falling out of the crib incident. She's still climbing on things that she shouldn't be and she's as happy as can be. And I asked Kayla last night if she would go back to the nursery with the nice ladies and she said "yup, and baby nona too" (that's what she has called Juliana since she was born, and it's actually what a lot of people call her, nona). Now when the time comes, will she go willingly???? We'll see!!

We're going to St. Thomas this weekend to visit with my family to celebrate my dad's birthday and Juliana's birthday. I can't believe that she is going to be 1 already! Man, does time fly! I was just at t
he dentists this morning and we were talking about setting up the date for Kayla to go to the party they have for 3 year olds to introduce them to the dentist. And then it hit me, she is going to be 3! Next thing I know I'm going to have to sign her up for school (ahhhhh, don't mention that yet!!)

Anyways, I thought I would post more pictures again.

Whenever the girls do anything cute, Kayla always say "mommy, take a picture" so I had to take a picture of this.


Kayla decided to empty out the bag of blocks and sit in it. It was too cute to not take a picture!


And I know Jeff will probably kill me that I posted this picture but I thought it was cute! He had just come back from a call so I surprised him with taking his picture!!!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Wow, "What a night" is right! Glad to hear the girls are ok!